Monday, September 14, 2009

Wal-Mart: Friend or Foe?

I went to Wal-Mart tonight to pick up a few items that I needed. However, I never seem to walk out of Wal-Mart with only the items on my list. As soon as I walked into the store the Halloween candy to my right caught my eye. As soon as school begins, the school supplies are quickly replaced with Halloween candy. So of course I had to browse all the delicious candy and chocolate that was staring me in the face. Somehow I managed to pull myself away without putting anything into my basket.

The next section that sucked me in was the makeup and beauty supplies. I can always use a new eye shadow or nail polish, so it really doesn’t hurt to see the new fall colours.

Once I finished browsing that section, with a couple of new bottles of nail polish in my basket, I proceeded to grab the items I actually came to Wal-Mart for. I got all the items I needed and decided to stop at the shoe section before heading to the cash register. It really isn’t a complete trip to Wal-Mart if I don’t stop at the shoe section. With the turn of a new season, all of the new fall shoes are out. Let me tell you, Wal-Mart has some very cute shoes at very affordable prices. Fourteen dollars for a pair of flats is a steal, so of course I had to get two pairs! I figured I would treat myself a little bit, since I have to take public transportation to and from school. For that reason, I can rarely wear heels, so flats are great. It may seem like an excuse to purchase a couple of pairs of shoes, but it’s true!

At that point I figured it was probably best to stop browsing the many sections of Wal-Mart and head to the cashier. After the cashier rang up all my items and gave me the final total, I was a bit surprised. Given I knew that I had grabbed a few items that were not on my list, it was still a shocker. How did an initial $10 purchase turn into $50?

This trip to Wal-Mart is usually the way it always goes for me. Rarely do I walk into Wal-Mart and only purchase what I have on my list. There are just so many other items that I do not really need, but seem to always convince myself I do.

Now that I try to stay on a strict budget, shopping has become very difficult. Needless to say, Wal-Mart has proven to be a weak spot for me. I think I am going to have to go to Wal-Mart only when I really need to. Or else I will have to put on blinders once I walk into the store and stop at the sections I need to, with no distractions. However, that does not seem like an easy feat for me.

My name is Karleigh and I am addicted to Wal-Mart.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karleigh. (in a drone tone)

    I find myself to have the same problem.
    You see $2.00 and you think to yourself, "Alright, fine. I'll spoil myself a bit." What you don't realize is you end up spoiling yourself with a million little presents which causes your bill mutates into a horribly expensive creature.

    They should make a TV about this. Actually, it's probably going to be on A&E in a couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine how bad it would be if we had Target in Winnipeg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. I'll go into Wal-mart with the intention of grabbing one thing, and end up spending way more than I intend to.

    And if all the Halloween candy is out by now, I need to be staying far away from Wal-Mart 'cause candy is the last thing I need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo TRUE!!! I'm not alone! I spend crazy amounts at wal-mart on stuff I will never use, but I buy it because it's cheap! I love it!

    ReplyDelete