Monday, January 18, 2010

Creative Writing Helps You Train Your Brain!

I am posting two blogs today because both of them we were actually assigned in CreComm and they so happened to fall on the same day.  In Creative Writing class, we are each given a day where we have to blog about a specific topic or item about Creative Writing,and today is my day!

This morning we had a workshop period for Creative Writing.  Our instructor, Karen, started off the class by asking us to think of an apple that we last encountered and describe it.  It was an interesting exercise, but I had no troubles thinking quickly.  It's kind of funny beause I have been eating a lot of apples this week.  I am dogsitting my sister and bro-in law's dog and she loves apples.  Whenever I would give her some, I would eat some of it as well.  It was very easy for me to describe the apple that I had recently eaten and I even had one in my purse this morning.  A second enjoyable part of the exercise was to try and redescribe the apple by not using obvious words such as crunchy, juicy, red, etc.  That was more of a challenge but definitely made me dig deep into my creative thoughts. 

We did another exercise similar to the apple one, but this time about our hand.  I liked that one too because, again, Karen wanted us to not use obvious words.  I tried to think of my hand as not a hand, but as an object that is constantly on the move. 

We then ended the class with each being assigned a random picture and we had to write a scene of what was happening with the picture.  That definitely got my creative juices flowing because I could have made up anything I wanted to.

All in all, it was a very successful creative two hours for myself.  And at 8am on a Monday morning, that is asking a lot.  It is definitely fun to be creative and think outside the box because it puts your brain to work and it needs exercise too! 


image credit: davepear.com

No comments:

Post a Comment