Friday, January 22, 2010

Unrealistic Reality

The topic of the reality TV show "Jersey Shore" has come up recently during in-class and out-of-class conversations.  I never really knew much about the show on MTV, but it was all the rage to people who watched it.  I decided to check it out last weekend and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I watched eight of the seasons episodes in two days. I was hooked.  It isn't a quality show, it's about a group of young adults who live in a house on the Jersey Shore for the summer.  They party at night, "work" at a t-shirt shop on the beach, go after girls and guys, and get into fights.  So what is the attraction to this show?  I honestly don't know. 

That brings me to the question of how is such bad "reality" TV always so addicting?  It goes the same for all the shows in that category such as "the Hills" and "the Real World".  These people's lives are always so much more entertaining than my reality.  If I had a reality show, it would majorly bomb.  Who wants to watch me sitting at school or sitting at home doing homework?  E-X-C-I-T-I-N-G!  And how are most shows reality when their reality is living in a rent free house with seven roommates who are probably told to create drama or something along those lines. 

Who knows the answer to the draw of reality shows, maybe the reason is because they ARE so unrealistic that people can't turn away.  Whatever the reason it, they are going to continue popping up all over the TV networks.  I'm not complaining though, the shows always  make for a good conversation piece with people.  The reality shows are usually an escape from my reality, which is another reason I would never get a reality show.  Watching a person watch a reality show wouldn't make for good TV.  Too bad.


cast of "Jersey Shore"


image credit: chicagonow.com

1 comment:

  1. We talked about Jersey Shore in today's PR class, because I kept saying "the Situation."

    And, yes, I legitimately love this show. Lord help me!

    ReplyDelete