Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mad Libs: oh the fun we had

Today's blog post has a similar feel to my last post. The reason being is an experience that I had this past week at Chapters. I was browsing the fantastic gift section, just looking at all the neat gifts. I then came across a table of toys which is where I saw it.

Mad Libs.


I haven't seen a Mad Libs book since I was a "tween", as the kids call it nowadays. I remember looking through the Scholastic catalogue that we would get in school and then ask my Mom to buy it for me. I used to love filling in the spaces in the Mad Libs book with my friends and then read the story out loud to everyone, while laughing at how much it didn't make sense. But what really got me thinking was that among the hilarity, I was actually learning English grammar.


For anyone that has never seen a Mad Libs, it is a series of short stories with various word omitted. You then fill in the blank based on it asking for a noun, adverb, verb, or adjective. Once you have filled in all of the empty spaces, you then read your creation out loud.

So obviously you must know what a noun, adverb, verb, and adjective is or you wouldn't be able to play properly. And since I played it as a younger child, it definitely helped with my learning and understanding, while having fun!

Now I'm not even sure if kids still play with Mad Libs, because it's probably not "cool" anymore. But I think it's fun for all ages. So I searched the internet and found a couple sites that are all about Mad Libs. So here they are....happy playing!


www.madlibs.com

www.itsamadlibsworld.com



                                                              image credit

No comments:

Post a Comment