Sunday, November 7, 2010

The place I thought I knew - but didn't know much to begin with

I've noticed over the last few weeks the increase in commercials advertising Mexico.  I also noticed that its tagline is different than it used to be.  When I looked it up online, it says that they launched this new ad campaign back in August, although I seemed to have just noticed it now. 

The main goal of the campaign is to attract North American visitors to Mexico amidst everything that is happening and happened there (violence, Swine Flu, etc.).  The new tagline that they chose is "The Place You Thought You Knew".  Now I am not sure how I feel about that.  I guess the point of the tagline is to showcase that there is more to Mexico than what people think, which is usually all-inclusive resorts.  The campaign focuses on activities that you should do off your resort to get to know Mexico a little better.

I was trying to remember what Mexico's tagline was before and I think it was Vive Mexico.  If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the new one because at least it tries a little harder to attract people. 

However, I read that the target market for this campaign is 35-65 years old with incomes greater than $75,000, which I am not. 

But despite the negative exposure Mexico is receiving in the media, Canadians are still traveling to Mexico.  The question is, are they stepping out of their resorts to experience the rest of Mexico?

I went to Mexico in Feb of 2009 where I went off-resort and did zip-lining and took a bus for an hour to go surfing, which was all worth it.  So I would have to agree that exploring Mexico is worth it, but I don't think I would feel as safe now as I did when I went.

Here are a few pieces from their campaign.  I will admit that I do like their posters and commercials.  I think it showcases Mexico in an interesting and positive light.

How do you feel about it?

 


Photos taken from google

No comments:

Post a Comment