Monday, May 17, 2010

So Not Everyone is Crazy About Spelling Mistakes?

I am currently taking an intersession course at RRC called Editing Print and Online Media.  It's a seven week course, twice a week for two hours a class.  Even though it's summer break, I figured it was totally doable and would be advantageous for 2nd year CreComm.  So here I am about to begin the second week of the course, along with a handful of fellow CreComms.  We have been instructed to make a weekly blog entry about anything that relates to the course. 

Yesterday I was at my sister's house.  I was reading an invitation that she had attached to the side of her fridge and I noticed a spelling mistake.  I mentioned it to her and she said that she doesn't notice those things like I do.  That got me thinking about my hate for simple spelling mistakes.  Now I'm not saying that I never make spelling mistakes because obviously I do.  However, whenever I notice a spelling mistake it makes me wince a little bit.  

This brings me to my next thought.  Do I notice spelling mistakes more often now that I have gone through my first year of CreComm?  Has spending the last year agonizing over correctly spelling all kinds of words made other people's mistakes more noticeable to me?  I can safely say that the people I know do not care about spelling the way I do.  However, I think that it's a good radar to have when it comes to incorrect spelling.  As I will be entering the communications field in about a year, spelling something incorrectly can be damaging to one's credibility.

So I'm proud to say I don't mind noticing spelling mistakes and am happy to point them out, even though my friends and family may find it annoying.  Having this detailed eye will only help me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment