Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The SPC App - discounts at your fingertips

In my PR class this past week we talked about different apps that you can download for your mobile device.  We did a fun activity where our teacher, Melanie, gave us a company and, in groups of three, we had to think of a free app that the company could offer to consumers.  We are presenting our ideas next week in class, which I'm excited to hear.

We also received another assignment for our blog post this week.  We had to browse the different apps and find a free app that a company or business already has and explain how it fits within the principles of persuasion.  Here is what I found....

The company I found creates the SPC.  SPC stands for "Student Price Card" and by its definition off its website the card "is your pass to exclusive student deals on fashion, food, entertainment, lifestyle, travel and more".

You can save from 10-15% at participating locations and you can buy the card for $9.00 at various retailers.  However, I was given a free SPC when I did my taxes with H&R Block this past year.  The card comes with a little booklet detailing the stores which accept the card, however, I never carry it with me because it is too big. 

Here is where the SPC app comes into play.

By downloading this free app you can see all of the stores that accept the SPC and how much of a discount you can receive.  I think this is a great app for anyone who has the SPC, because you can instantly find out which stores accept the card.  Now even if you don't have the booklet with you, you are still able to take advantage of your SPC.  And who doesn't like a discount?  Especially a student!

Here is how the app fits into the principles of persuasion.

Identification: The "what's in it for me" for the person who has the SPC is the discounts it offers.  By knowing who accepts the SPC, it saves you money and allows you to remember for the future that the store accepts the SPC.

Familiarity & Trust:  Many students know what the SPC is because it is advertised at various educational institutions, including high schools.  I've known about the SPC since I entered high school.

Clarity
: The app is simple and easy to use.  It's broken down into various categories so it is easy to find what you are looking for.

Action: With the tap of a finger you have access to all of the discounts the SPC offers.  You don't have to worry about searching for your booklet that came with the card or asking every retailer if they accept the SPC.

All in all, I think this app is a great idea for anyone who has the SPC. 
I would definitely use it.


For more info on the SPC, visit www.spccard.ca
For more info on the SPC app, visit this link

image credit here

1 comment:

  1. A great idea - I'd be willing to bet this will increase use of the SPC and, because of that, increase retailers' likelihood to participate in the program.

    ReplyDelete