Thursday, March 24, 2011

How can an event be too successful?

A couple weekends a go I attended a charity event that was in its 14th year.  I have attended it before and it always has been a good time.  The entertainment is always great, which is what I think helps to make it a great event.  However, when I attended the event this year, I noticed something.  I noticed that it was so insanely packed in the venue.  The event takes place at a hotel as this hotel sponsors the event and has been since it began.  However, for me it was too packed for comfort.  The dinner tables were very narrow and I had felt like I was climbing a jungle gym trying to get to my seat.  I couldn't imagine how someone older would be able to get into their seat.  As well, the venue is normally used for a comedy club so the normal set-up of the venue is on different levels.  They placed the buffet area in the middle of the dance floor, which also wasn't very wide.  This also caused traffic flow problems with people going to and coming from the buffet.

This charity event always raises an impressive amount of money.  But I wonder, were they over capacity?  Or if they were at capacity, adding extra tables made its capacity uncomfortable.  As this venue is the only one at the sponsored hotel, it seems as if its their only option. 

I think that if they were to find a new venue for the event, then they could accommodate more people, make it more comfortable for the guests, and also make more money for charity.

However, it seems that the sponsor of the event really takes pride and enjoys having it at their location.

I know they have been doing it for 14 years and it seems to be working for them.  However, given that, I just think the event has great potential to be bigger and better.

Perhaps the hotel sees no problem in the way the event is run every year and the money it generates for the charity.  My only concern is how many people will not be returning due to the uncomfortableness that they had to endure during the three hours of the event. 


My question is, what happens when an event becomes too successful for its venue? 

No comments:

Post a Comment