Monday, March 28, 2011

Repositioning a brand using D.O.Gs and oranges

Meet Akira, Vega, and Bosco
Over the past few months, Sunova Credit Union has begun to build two new locations in my area of the city and one in Oakbank.  Before they arrived, I had never heard of Sunova before.  I looked into where else they have locations, and most of them are outside of the city, in places such as Beausejour, Teulon, and Stonewall to name a few.  They actually used to be called South Interlake Credit Union, but in 2008, decided they needed a new, fresh feel, thus Sunova Credit Union was born.  

Its new slogan is "bank brighter".  To me, it feels as if they are saying Sunova Credit Union is the credit union of the 21st century.  After I wrote that, I read an article about their new positioning, which states Sunova is "
a vibrant, innovative and friendly financial institution."  

The main thing that sets this credit union from the rest are its D.O.Gs, also known as its Director Of Greetings.  Like its acronym states, they are in fact dogs, Saint Bernards to be exact.  Right now the Saint Bernards are puppies that will be working at the three Winnipeg locations, and let me tell you, they are too cute for words!  I'm also curious as to how long is took Sunova to think of "Director Of Greetings", or if it just came right away.  I think the dog idea is very interesting and I'm thinking it makes the business seem less like a stuffy bank and more of a casual place to do your financial business, which reflects their new positioning in the industry.  I'm not sure if this would turn off people who do not like dogs or who are allergic.  However, in my opinion as a animal lover, I would totally switch to Sunova to see the dogs haha.  I also think a Saint Bernard is a good choice for a welcome dog.  Even though they grow to be huge, they are gentle giants, although a tad slobbery. 

Sunova also ran a contest where people could email five suggestions of names for the new Saint Bernards.  This got the community involved and thinking about Sunova.  The winners of the contest received merchandise from Sunova and the satisfaction of stating that they named one of the dogs.

The Leila Ave. branch opened this past Friday and had a mini celebration where people could visit to see what it is all about.  My Mom was at Garden City mall that day and said that there was a rep from Sunova walking around handing out oranges which stated "orange you glad we're open?" and listed the information.  I thought that was a cute idea, had a call to action, and matches the company colour theme, which involves orange. 

All in all, I think Sunova is doing a good job at trying to position themselves in their community.  From what I have observed, their target market seems to be young professionals.  And as I fit into that category, I will admit that it is working on me!

Good job Sunova!


* images taken from ctv.ca and sunovacu.ca




No comments:

Post a Comment